The Day I Almost Quit
On days like today I get angry at myself for deciding to spend the money and time to become a teacher. I feel like it’s so pointless. My kids could care less if they learn anything. They aren’t even trying. They’re not studying. They are cheating. They are failing. They don’t show up for help. And they just don’t care. They only want to be entertained. They don’t appreciate anything. They don’t respect their teachers or each other. Only the threat of having all their electronics taken away and being grounded gets them to do anything. And I don’t have time to teach them anything but content. None of it matters. I am so tired and exasperated. Why, oh why, did I get myself into this?
The only thing that comforts me is knowing that today I was able to comfort two students today who were crying – one whose grandmother just passed away, and the other who broke down when attempting to do her speaking task with me one-on-one.


Keep going with it, I can guarantee there will be at least a couple of kids in your class who deep down appreciate you but are too embarrassed and unsure to show it.
Teaching is one of the most important things you could do.
Kids can be tremendously infuriating at times, but there are highs and lows within any job.
I SO know where you're coming from! I taught for 3 years, 3 years too many for me. It's exhausting and thankless and most of the time, you'll never see the fruit of your labor. But, God brought you there to love those kids and whether you see it now, 20 years from now, or never, you are making an impact.
By the wya, there's a blog about teaching called rate your Students. I'm sureyou'd enjoy that one. :)
Thanks, Rach! I'm really still new to this whole blogging thing and I don't know how a lot of it works.
What grade do you teach? I want to become a teacher, and I always felt like I could appreciate an attitude like that. If they are sixteen, then I'll just say to them "leave now if you want". And only teach the ones who want to be taught. Buahha
It's really tempting to just say that. And I do, often! It's mostly the 9th graders that frustrate me the most. They are 14-15 years old. I also teach 10th grade.