Mexico

I figured I'd write more often if I wrote less. No really, it makes sense!
Anyways, we had our first meeting for the LCS (Lima Christian School - my alma mater) missions trip to Mexico in February. I met most of the kids and other adults for the first time. Up until now, it felt like months away. Now I realize it is only weeks! I'm much more stressed about the week before the trip than the actual trip itself. I will have to be prepared for a substitute and be all caught up on grades and plans waaaay in advance, because I won't be able to do anything over the "break".
I learned so much more about the place we are going to. The place we are going in the mountains of Oaxaca was very hostile (aka people died) to foreigners (they believed foreigners would eat their children!) and missionaries in particular until as late as 2000!
It can take more than 10 hours to make the 37 mile cliff-hanging journey up the mountain road in bad weather, so pray that everything moves quickly. That's after driving to Toronto, staying overnight, flying to Mexico City, staying overnight, taking an 11 hour busride to Puerto Escondido and trucks to the mission base. Then comes the journey up into the mountains and back again - all in 11 days!
I've been to a lot of Spanish-speaking countries, but not Mexico! And there is a possibility of going an another missions trip as a translator/leader this summer to Morelia Mexico with the youth group from my church. The pic is from my last missions trip w/ EGC to Peru in 2005. It was my first time co-leading and translating.


for this post
Leave a Reply